Friday, April 20, 2012

Update on Radical

I finished rereading Radical by David Platt a few weeks ago. I took notes as I was going through it, in the hope that it would stick with me a little better than it did the first time.

Platt's thesis is that the American version of Christianity is self-serving and inward looking rather than focusing on spreading the Gospel to the whole world. Do our congregations pretty much stick to themselves, or do they spend their time and money reaching out to the unchurched?

Platt warns his readers that his book will be dangerous and will make them think differently about everything - he wasn't kidding.

I've been a Christian all my life. I have no idea how many times I've studied the parable of the talents (Matthew 25:14-30), or how many times I've heard sermons on it. For some reason, it took reading Radical for me to see just how "wicked" and "lazy" (those are the words of Jesus, not the words of Dave) it is to be fed the Word of God every week and never share it with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment