Thursday, January 21, 2010

What This Thing Is All About

The first message board I got seriously hooked on is now defunct; it used to be located at briansetzer.com, but there’s no longer a board there. One of the people who posted there, burner1, told about seeing Carl Perkins at a book promo event years ago. Burner1 said, “He had a way of talking that made it seem perfectly understandable that a rock’n’roller could have a strong faith in God.” (Confession: that was a paraphrase. I don’t have access to the original post anymore.)

The inspiration for this blog is drawn from that post. I’ve always loved 50’s-style rock’n’roll, in its many forms – Buddy Holly, doo-wop, the R&B influenced rock of Little Richard and Chuck Berry, even the teen idol stuff of Frankie Avalon and Bobby Rydell. The music that I’ve really developed an appreciation for in recent years, though, is the style known as rockabilly, the way they played it back at Sun Records in Memphis.

I’m also a Christian. By that, I mean simply that I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again on the third day, so that we might be reconciled to God. Through Jesus, my sins are forgiven.

I think for many people, the Christian faith seems incompatible with music like rockabilly. I’m hoping to use this forum to share my thoughts on my faith and my favorite music. I also hope to have you join in a discussion, via your comments, on just how compatible or incompatible they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment